I'm going to show you how to install Shoutcast server and start your own radio station.
You will need one of popular linux distributions Debian, CentOS or Ubuntu. This HowTo applies to all Linux distros with bash shell.
Let's cut the talk and start with the tutorial.
1. First we need to login to our VPS as root
2. Next we need to download shoutcast server
cd /tmp wget http://download.nullsoft.com/shoutcast/tools/sc_serv_1.9.8_Linux.tar.gz
If you get error while trying to execute this command then you don't have wget command installed to your system. For Debian and Ubunutu use the following command to install it:
apt-get install wgetFor CentOS
yum install wget
3. Next we need to create the folder for our shoutcast server and extract the archive
mkdir /home/shoutcast tar -zxf sc_serv_1.9.8_Linux.tar.gz -C ./home/shoutcast
4. Navigate to the shoutcast folder and clear the config file
cd /home/shoutcast echo > sc_serv.conf
5. Open the file sc_serv.conf
nano sc_serv.confPaste the following text
MaxUser=32 Password=changeme PortBase=8000 LogFile=sc_serv.log RealTime=1 ScreenLog=1 ShowLastSongs=10 SrcIP=ANY DestIP=ANY Yport=80 NameLookups=0 AdminPassword=adminpass AutoDumpUsers=0 AutoDumpSourceTime=30 PublicServer=default AllowRelay=Yes AllowPublicRelay=Yes MetaInterval=32768You should modify these settings:
B. Set the Password to a value that you know because you need it to connect to the server in order to stream music to it.
C. Optionally you can change the port by changing the PortBase to some different port.
D. AdminPassword is the web interface password. Web interface is used for banning and kicking users from the server.
6. Start the server
7. Press Ctrl + A + D to exit the screen and leave the server running in background.
8. Start Winamp with nullsoft shoutcast plugin on your computer.
B. On the shoutcast plugin window Enter your VPS address and for port enter 8000 unless you changed it in the sv_serv.conf configuration file.
C. Enter the same password that you set for the Password in the sc_serv.conf
D. Set those two checkboxes to checked.
E. Finally check Auto Connect your computer will start transmitting data to the server.
9. Go to the http://YourVPSIp:8000 and press Listen. Stream file will be downloaded to your computer double click it and you can start listening your radio station. Give that file to others or the link for that file, so they can join and listen to the music you stream.
10. Congrats your server is up and running, you have your own online radio station in 10 easy steps .