• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ecelis

ecelis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:36 AM

If you already have sendmail installed edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc Look for the line

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet,  Name=MTA-v4, Port=smtp, Addr=127.0.0.1')dnl

and edit like this

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet,  Name=MTA-v4, Port=smtp')dnl

Finally run

sendmailconfig

Your VPS must be named host.myhomepage.com in manage.haphost.com, the first part **host** can be any hostname you like. This is the simplest configuration for sendmail and will only send/receive email for myhomepage.com or whatever domain name the command `hostname -d` returns. In your case it should be **myhomepage.com**

Also sendmail is only the MTA, you'll need to install and configure and MDA like dovecot or cyrus to be able to retrieve yor email via IMAP or POP3 protocols.

If sendmail is not installed you can have it installed with

sudo apt-get install sendmail

Enable the service

update-rc.d sendmail enable
service sendmail start

From your home computer you can test its working using telnet or sending an email

telnet host.myhomepage.com 25
Trying 154.127.50.222...
Connected to hostm.myhomepage.com. Escape character is '^]'. 220 hostm.myhomepage.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.4/8.14.4/Debian-4;
^]
telnet> quit

mail -s "TEst mail" me@myhomepage.com
Hello sendmail

And in your VPS logs you should see the conections details and the email arriving.

tail -f /var/log/mail.log

Congrats, now you can recive email, why don't go ahead and try to sending one out

#2 i7ach1

i7ach1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

I'll try it later, Thank you so much!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mta, sendmail, email, debian, howto, tutorial, guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users