• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mikey186

Mikey186

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:50 AM

I'm trying to getting use to Ubuntu desktop VPS, I did try to install XFCE4 and managed to install the desktop enviroment, kinda sluggish but it seems that it's almost doing fine, but It's missing the icons. Is there a fix for that? I'm running Ubuntu 13.0 64-bit

Attached Files

#2 BritishDeveloper

BritishDeveloper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

I found that the centos was more stable for using a desktop view. But even that kept having strange bugs fro no reason. I have now changed to using webmin as a control panel and just doing everything through command lines. Did you have the icons at any point? maybe something need reinstalling. 

• Mikey186 likes this

#3 Mikey186

Mikey186

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Just the folders and some terminal icons as well. Only thing, I don't know the commands to reinstall like "sudo apt-get uninstall [something]"

And I thought I use Ubuntu because it's a interesting os and has a gnome desktop too.

#4 BritishDeveloper

BritishDeveloper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

From what I have researched it is a personal choice on what OS you use but centos seems to be the most stable. Terminal is also more stable than virtual desktop so make sure you do learn how to use it more as it will help you in the ling run. As for reinstalling you can use the command: sudo apt-get --reinstall install PackageNameHere

#5 Mikey186

Mikey186

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

Hmm.......true. I didn't know centos is the most stable and used in a all VPS systems. But when you pick it out, there's no turning back (dispite formatting the VPS and switching the OS). But still it's easier for me to choose Ubuntu because with 'sudo apt-get install' is easy than just a 'yum' command that I thought it's only in other Linux systems. Not Centos or Ubuntu.

Anyway, I did use the command. No help. I only used Apache2, PHP5, and MySQL.

#6 BritishDeveloper

BritishDeveloper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

hmmm... Then I am not sure why its not working. Maybe you might know the answer to my question. What is the best way to upload files to vps? I have been using dropbox but wondered if there was an easier way

#7 Mikey186

Mikey186

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

I would say FTP. It's maybe the only way, I would use the IP as host, root for user and the password u use for SSH. I would try FileZilla.

#8 Mikey186

Mikey186

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

Oh and ps, use port 22 for SFTP. VERY reccomended.

#9 rood

rood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hello Mikey186, you are posting in wrong section, 

This section is only for Coding Support(for someone who has problem coding applications).

Haphost staff will close this thread as soon as they saw it.

Please use Support section!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users