Since many of the people here don't know much knowledge about Terminal aka Console workings, am here to show you how to install a Linux based light Desktop on your VPS. Feel free to ask questions if you have any doubt.
Time required: 30 mins
Required Things: PuTTy or any other as your wish, am gonna use PuTTy
1. Install latest ubuntu operating system into your VPS from the Haphost VPS control panel http://manage.haphost.com
2. Open PuTTy and login to your VPS
3. Start by coping this command and right click on the PuTTy console to paste down and press Enter
sudo apt-get update
4. Then we need to install XRDP, it allows you to connect to your server using RDC. Copy paste this command on to the terminal .You will be then informed about the package size. To proceed with the installation, press Y. Wait for the completion.
sudo apt-get install xrdp
To proceed with the installation, press Y. Wait for the completion.
5. When done we are going to install the XFCE Desktop Environment, linux based. So install by copy pasting this command.
sudo apt-get install xfce4
You will be then informed about the package size. To proceed with the installation, press Y.
6. We need to configure XRDP to use XFCE Desktop Environment will be used instead of the Unity or Gnome (which are not working anymore in Ubuntu). To configure this, from the terminal console, you will issue the following command
echo xfce4-session >~/.xsession
7. Restart the RDP session by issuing this command
sudo service xrdp restart
8. Installations are done, Now go to your windows machine, start remote Desktop client and enter the ip address/name of your ubuntu VPS.
9. You should see then the login screen of xrdp presented to you. Note that, at this screen (and because we have not configured keyboard layout yet), the keyboard layout is set to English by default. Enter your username and password and Press OK.
10. You will see a dialog box showing the login process. If everything is configured correctly,you should see your XFCE desktop loading and you should be able to perform you work through this desktop environment.
Have Fun .
Don't hesitate to post if you encounter any problems or errors while installation. <3