Port 22 is the default port for almost all SSH Connections. But you can change your port especially if it is having errors.
Additionally, changing your SSH port is a security measure. I would recommend everyone to do this to prevent brute force attacks.
Here is a tutorial on how to change your SSH port.
1. Log into your server as root. In case you can't log into your server, You can also log into your server through the Virtual Login credentials provided on your panel.
2. Install an editor software.
yum install vim
apt-get update && apt-get -y install vim
3. Execute this command on your terminal.
4. Search for the line:
5. Enter into editing mode by pressing letter 'A' from the keyboard. Change the number into your desired port. Please take note that you can only assign a port that is free and open. I would suggest that you use a port from the 30-65535 range. Make sure to remove the # sign.
6. Save your changes by pressing the escape button and type:
7. Reboot your server or execute this command on the VPS terminal:
service sshd restart