Photo

CryoTuts: How to install a TeamSpeak 3 Server

Tutorial CryoTuts Cryo Tutorials TeamSpeak TeamSpeak 3 Install How To Server Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cryo Kinesis

Cryo Kinesis

Haphost Staff

• Moderators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationGridania, Eorzea

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm Cryo and today, I will be giving you instructions on how to install a teamspeak 3 server.
These instructions are put into steps to keep things nice and simple. smile.png

Step 1:

Log into your VPS via/using SSH. If you are having issues logging in, try changing your "root password" in the control panel.

If you can not connect to your server using SSH, create a new topic with a title "Unable to SSH into vps" or something like that. smile.png

Step 2:

Once logged in, you will be in your root folder and that is where we will download the teamspeak 3 server setup.
Use the following command to download the server setup:-

wget http://teamspeak.gameserver.gamed.de/ts3/releases/3.0.6.1/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86-3.0.6.1.tar.gz

Step 3:

Next, you will need to extract the archive using the following command:-

tar -zxvf teamspeak3-server_linux-x86-3.0.6.1.tar.gz

Step 4:

After the files have been extracted, it'll all be inside a folder called "teamspeak3-server_linux-x86"

Use the following command to go to that directory:-

cd teamspeak3-server_linux-x86

Step 5:

Now inside the folder, you will now start the server by executing this command:-

./ts3server_minimal_runscript.sh

When it starts, the TeamSpeak Server will build the new database for it and generate a ServerQuery username and password and a server admin token.

REMEMBER!!! YOU MUST COPY THE SERVERQUERY USERNAME, PASSWORD AND TOKEN. FAILURE TO DO THIS, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TELNET INTO THE TEAMSPEAK SERVER AS A SERVERQUERY ADMIN. YOU WILL NOT GET SERVER ADMIN RIGHTS IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE TOKEN GENERATED.

You may continue onto step 6 after you have copied the serverquery username & password and the server admin token generated.

Step 6:

Now you will need to shutdown the TeamSpeak server by pressing "CTRL+C". If you did "CTRL+Z" by mistake, you will need to reboot the server before continuing and go back into "teamspeak3-server_linux-x86" folder.

You are now ready to start your server for the first time. To do this, use the following command:-

./ts3server_startscript.sh start

Step 7 (Almost There!!):

Now that the server has started, start your teamspeak 3 client and put your server ip to connect to your server for the first time. Once connected, it will ask you for a token. Copy the token you copied from step 5 and paste it into the request token dialog.

Once accepted, you will then be given Server Admin and your TeamSpeak 3 server is now ready to use!

YAY!!

Step 8 (Start TeamSpeak 3 Server on server reboot):

This step will show you how to create a script to automatically start your teamspeak server after your VPS has rebooted.
Firstly, open a new file using your desired text editor. For example:- (Using nano or vi)

For nano:-
nano /etc/init.d/ts3
For vi:-
vi /etc/init.d/ts3

(vi users must press i to start typing)

Now start typing this code:-
#!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: ts3
# Required-Start: $ALL
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Teamspeak3-server startscript
# Description:
#
### END INIT INFO

USER="root"
TS3='/root/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86'
STARTSCRIPT="$TS3/ts3server_startscript.sh"

cd $TS3

su $USER -c "$STARTSCRIPT start"

For nano users, press "CTRL+X" keys then press "y" key to save it. For vi users, press the "ESC" key then type ":wq".

Step 9:

Now that you have created the auto start script, it is now time to add it to startup. Firstly, do:-

chmod +x /etc/init.d/ts3

This makes the script executable which is required in order to start your TeamSpeak server. Then you will need to type:-

update-rc.d ts3 defaults

This command will add the script to startup.

Step 10:

Reboot your server to test the auto startup script for teamspeak server. VPS take around 20-30 seconds to reboot so give it a chance to boot up smile.png

If the teamspeak server starts successfully and you can connect to it, you can proceed. Else, go back to step 8 and check everything has been done right.

Step 11:

What step 11? Everything is done! Go and have a cup of tea and enjoy your TeamSpeak 3 Server smile.png

Credits:

This tutorial/how-to/instruction manual has been brought to you by Cryo. Please provide feedback as I welcome it. Feedback is very important to me so I can help make the instruction manual better smile.png

THANK YOU, COME AGAIN! smiley-grin.png
  • RoboCop and eLdOne like this

Cryo%20Kinesis%20Haphost%20Sig2.png

#2 xolox

xolox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

In order to provide better security for  when the TS3 gets compromised wouldn't it be better for anyone to make the TS3 server run under another user account instead of root?

• Andreas likes this

#3 Kevin_Hendrews

Kevin_Hendrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:02 PM

Better, Wroks now :)

#4 eLdOne

eLdOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

Hi, how do I retrieve the token?

#5 Andreas

Andreas

Haphost Staff

• Moderators
  • 283 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

Hi, how do I retrieve the token?

The token is shown right after you start the TeamSpeak-Server the first time.

#6 jesseke55

jesseke55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

wow my VPS cpu will at be 100% instant when i got it restarted :(

#7 Ghostovsky

Ghostovsky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

Please can you tell me how to update teamspeak ?

#8 Arctic

Arctic

Haphost Staff

• Moderators
  • 341 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

Please can you tell me how to update teamspeak ?

If you use Script

/etc/init.d/teamspeak3 stop

if you start it by command

/usr/local/teamspeak3/teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64/ts3server_startscript.sh stop

TeamSpeak 3 Server Backup

To help us prevent data loss, a backup should be created in any event before the update. For this purpose, simply the entire TeamSpeak 3 folder zipped. You can watch the .tar.gz file then also like to secure on your computer. The file size should not exceed a few MB.

tar -czvf /usr/src/ts3_backup.tar.gz /usr/local/teamspeak3/teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64

TeamSpeak 3 Server Update

The latest TeamSpeak 3 Server version can now be downloaded. Please pre-authenticate as TeamSpeak users (teamspeak3 with me) and in the corresponding parent directory change, in my case: / usr / local / teamspeak3 because underneath is the actual installation folder teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64
su teamspeak3
cd /usr/local/teamspeak3
wget http://dl.4players.de/ts/releases/3.0.11.3/teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64-3.0.11.3.tar.gz

Now the file is simply unzipped. Existing files are overwritten, configurations are not touched and continue to receive

tar -xzvf teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64-3.0.11.3.tar.gz

The update process is now already completed

/etc/init.d/teamspeak3 start

or
/usr/local/teamspeak3/teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64/ts3server_startscript.sh start

best regards

Arctic

• eLdOne likes this

any support PM's be Ignored please use the Support section for it

Support

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tutorial, CryoTuts, Cryo, Tutorials, TeamSpeak, TeamSpeak 3, Install, How To, Server, Ubuntu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users