Ventrilo server installation
I used Debian 6 but this tutorial also applies to other Linux distributions like CentOS or Ubuntu.
Ventrilo server without a license is for hosting 8 slot server. If you need more slots you need to buy the license from ventrilo, or rent a ventrilo server.
1. Download server binary file from ventrilo web site.
Ventrilo - Download
2. Start FileZilla and do the following:
C. Enter your root password
D. Press Quickconnect
E. In the remote site field enter /tmp and press enter to navigate to that directory
F. Navigate to your downloaded file in explorer window and drag & drop it on the empty folder.
G. Wait for the transfer to complete.
3. Start putty and login to your server with root privileges.
4. Navigate to the /tmp directory with this command
5. After that type the following in the putty window to extract the contents of the archive
tar -zxf ventrilo_srv-3.0.3-Linux-i386.tar.gz
6. Move the folder to the home directory
mv ventsrv/ /home/7. Navigate to the /home/ventsrv/ directory
cd /home/ventsrv/8. Start the screen (you need this in order for the server to stay online
9. Start the server finally
./ventrilo_srv10. Press Ctrl + A + D to exit the screen and to leave the ventrilo running in background. You can now exit putty and try your server.
Hope I helped!