• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 lordscales91

lordscales91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hello, I just signed up today for your Free VPS Service. I thought that I could use it for some testing in some near future, and since it can take up to 3 weeks for the request to be approved (at least that's what I read) I preferred to submit it now, however there is something that really socked me and that is the RAM available on the VPS Server, only 128 MB.

I'm aware that the virtualization container, (OpenVZ in this case) perform some optimizations that decrease the resource consumption of the OS, however if you need a VPS it's because you need to run some kind of application or service or even a large web, so I'm wondering if 128MB is really enough.

If you are a Java developer like me and want to run a Servlet + Web App, I think that in most cases 128MB will not be enought. In fact 128MB is dust, I don't really think that such small amount of RAM will be usable. However a little research shown that there are many hostings offering 128MB OpenVZ VPS at $15~16/month

So, the question title maybe could be: What can you do with a 128MB VPS?

#2 Arctic

Arctic

Haphost Staff

• Moderators
  • 341 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:32 PM

Haphost is not intended for larger projects but used for the private and not for commercial projects.

should you need more ram it can do this at host1plus.com

any support PM's be Ignored please use the Support section for it

Support

#3 lordscales91

lordscales91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

Haphost is not intended for larger projects but used for the private and not for commercial projects.

should you need more ram it can do this at host1plus.com

Yeah, I already suppose that this service is only suitable for small projects, but in fact the project needs to be very tiny to fit with 128MB of RAM, so for example any Java project is not possible due to the Java VM RAM consumption. But not just that, many projects are not possible with that amount of RAM, even the smallest ones.

#4 demotest

demotest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:00 AM

Well, keep in mind that this kind of VPS plans with 128 MB RAM cost around 1$-2$ per month. Here you get it for free, as you said.

You can do a lot with 128MB, server is faster than many shared hosting plans (even much better and more stable than HapHost's own Web Hosting) and many CMS and small server setups are just perfect to run in such environment. Not for medium or heavy traffic, but for development and testing it is perfect.

Regards

#5 R0yk3

R0yk3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:36 PM

Debian 7 with a mysql server is not possible on a haphost machine.

Mysql does not start for it has npo resources.

just investigating for other options.

Debian 6 works, but php 5.4 is tricky.

Nice investigation on these machines :D

#6 Arctic

Arctic

Haphost Staff

• Moderators
  • 341 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

it is possible

Support

#7 Arctic

Arctic

Haphost Staff

• Moderators
  • 341 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:19 PM

Yeah, I already suppose that this service is only suitable for small projects, but in fact the project needs to be very tiny to fit with 128MB of RAM, so for example any Java project is not possible due to the Java VM RAM consumption. But not just that, many projects are not possible with that amount of RAM, even the smallest ones.

as I said you have to rent a server if you need more you stop over there I do not think more about the topic to say

Support

#8 Conner

Conner

Haphost Support Staff

• Moderators
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSouthport, UK

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

Maybe i am Biased?

However, 128mb of RAM should be enough, considering the same burst is available too!

A server directing traffic with nginx and hosting a small communications server such as a TS3 or SIP alternative only runs about 100mb max and that just at peak times, I honestly

think that for investigation into how a VPS under Linux is run and how to operate these machines, the RAM is more than enough. Especially if you are concerned with pricing issues, I mean what

could be better than free?

There is however some limitations that I have found which did leave me into buying some servers, data processing with any SQL platform is slow and sometimes due to the BW can max out, apart from that then

128mb should be enough for anyone?

-C

#9 issue89

issue89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:05 AM

Not really sure how you have yours setup but it most be incorrect. For a free service this is more than enough resources, especially if you plan on using it for testing purposes.

#10 lupettohf

lupettohf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

128 MB are ok for a lot of things! You can run a small game server (samp, mta, quake, openttd) or a couple of wordpress sites, reddit bots, and other things. 

#11 Cheater's Day

Cheater's Day

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:34 AM

I had on my vps running apache2, mysql-server, ts3, and 2x vc:mp servers :)

#12 Arctic

Arctic

Haphost Staff

• Moderators
  • 341 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

128mb+128 swap should be enough

Note: should their account, it may be a little longer be registered ye swap is 256 mb

Support

#13 Cryo Kinesis

Cryo Kinesis

Haphost Staff

• Moderators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationGridania, Eorzea

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

Hi There,

I used to have BIND, IMAP/POP3, SMTP, Web, PHP, MySQL, TS3, Anti-DDoS, IPTables and probably a couple of other things too. You can do many things with 128MB RAM. ;)

• Bonar likes this

Cryo%20Kinesis%20Haphost%20Sig2.png

#14 mlody.1039

mlody.1039

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationWarsaw / Carlow

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hello.

I used to play a lot with 128 MB Ram runs apps with require 1 GB Ram I optimize them and works fine sometimes it just lag because of low ram but its started :).

I even tested RDP with Debian works fine with browser and 1 Tab of course RDP maybe slow some times because of low ram but for basic stuff like Google, read news or register on some website which require new IP works fine. also tested it with SAMP , Nginx, MySQL Server, Live Support Chat, small Minecraft server 3 -4 slots and works fine for small map.

It really depend the size of your project and how you optimize it.

Its also good for monitoring service HapHost have great uptime also 10 Mbit Network so its enough to check if xx server online and monitor ping :) 

• Bonar likes this

#15 Arctic

Arctic

Haphost Staff

• Moderators
  • 341 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

Hello.

I used to play a lot with 128 MB Ram runs apps with require 1 GB Ram I optimize them and works fine sometimes it just lag because of low ram but its started :).

I even tested RDP with Debian works fine with browser and 1 Tab of course RDP maybe slow some times because of low ram but for basic stuff like Google, read news or register on some website which require new IP works fine. also tested it with SAMP , Nginx, MySQL Server, Live Support Chat, small Minecraft server 3 -4 slots and works fine for small map.

It really depend the size of your project and how you optimize it.

Its also good for monitoring service HapHost have great uptime also 10 Mbit Network so its enough to check if xx server online and monitor ping :)

everyone should know that you can run any decent Minecraft here

Minecraft Tule of Thumb(without plugins)

1 GB Ram: 6-10 Player
2 GB Ram: 8-16 Player
3 GB Ram: 14-22 player
4 GB Ram: 20-32 player
5 GB Ram: 30-44 player
6 GB Ram: 40-50 player
7 GB Ram: 50 players
8 GB Ram: 80 players

• venadHD and jesseke55 like this

Support

#16 venadHD

venadHD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

i has runned Free VPS with 128 of RAM and 256 of SWAP following things:

PHP, 1 root web and 5 subdomains (Apache2), MySQL server, 2 MTA servers, FTP server, and finally. Cron jobs.

Used: >128 MB of ram and >150 of SWAP. 

• venadHD likes this

#17 Arctic

Arctic

Haphost Staff

• Moderators
  • 341 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

I think everything has been said here, therefore

Case closed